Notice: We are still operating during the COVID-19 crisis. However, we are not allowing visitors to our office and most of our staff is operating remotely. Our attorneys and staff are still available to help you by phone and email. If you get our voice mail, please leave a message and it will be returned promptly. There may be delays with mail due to the crisis, so please try to send documents by email after submitting a contact form here or fax to 312-419-0379, if possible.

Harassing Collection Calls

Question: What can I do if I am being harassed by a collections agency? A year ago, I got a bill from a hospital. I made a verbal agreement with hospital to pay $200 with no interest which I’ve been doing every single month. The account was transferred to a collector which is harassing me to pay off the balance more quickly. What are my rights and obligations?

Answer: Inform the collector in writing of the agreement and that you do not want any further contact. Use means that provides proof of receipt (fax, certified mail, etc.). If they continue harassing you, file suit under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. We would undertake such a case without charge to you, for the statutory attorney’s fees available against the defendant.