Notice: We are still operating during the COVID-19 crisis. However, we are not allowing visitors to our office and most of our staff is operating remotely. Our attorneys and staff are still available to help you by phone and email. If you get our voice mail, please leave a message and it will be returned promptly. There may be delays with mail due to the crisis, so please try to send documents by email after submitting a contact form here or fax to 312-419-0379, if possible.

Billing Dispute

Question: What can I do if I won a credit card dispute and now they are threatening collections? The charge is for services that were never provided. The credit card issuer reversed the charges. The merchant had a collection agency/lawyers office contact me about the charges. They say I still owe the debt and that if I do not pay, it will go against my credit report. What steps should I take?

Answer: The merchant is not bound by the credit card company’s resolution and can sue you. You can file suit first. If the merchant does put it on your credit, dispute it in writing with the credit bureaus. It must at least be listed as disputed. If it is not removed from your credit report, or not listed as disputed, you can sue the merchant under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.