Skip to Content
Edelman Combs Latturner & Goodwin, LLC Edelman Combs Latturner & Goodwin, LLC
Call Us Today! 312-626-3585

Protecting the Rights of Consumers For Over 25 Years


Question: How can I pay a judgment if the person to whom it is owed is dead? A judgment was filed in 2007 and I am trying to pay this and discovered the person passed away. I am in the process of qualifying for a mortgage loan.

Answer: You can file a motion in the case to pay the money into court, vacate the judgment, and dismiss the case. Once the judgment is vacated it cannot be reported on your credit reports.

Note that adverse items can generally remain on your credit report for 7 years, so that the judgment will no longer be reported after 2014.

Share To: