Notice: We are still operating during the COVID-19 crisis. However, we are not allowing visitors to our office and most of our staff is operating remotely. Our attorneys and staff are still available to help you by phone and email. If you get our voice mail, please leave a message and it will be returned promptly. There may be delays with mail due to the crisis, so please try to send documents by email after submitting a contact form here or fax to 312-419-0379, if possible.

Mixed Files on Credit Reports

Question: What can I do regarding erroneous credit reports? Credit bureaus have been issuing erroneous credit reports on me. They confuse my credit history with my brother’s.

Answer: Send a certified letter to each of the 3 major credit bureaus -- Equifax, Experian and Trans Union -- stating what the problem is and what entries on your report are not yours. Copy the furnishers of the erroneous information if possible. (There should be addresses for each on the credit report.) The bureaus have 30 days from receipt to contact the furnishers, investigate and act. If they do not clear up the problem, you probably will have to file suit against the bureaus and/or the furnishers.

We would normally take such a case on a contingency/ for the statutory fees, without out of pocket cost to you.