Notice: We are still operating during the COVID-19 crisis. However, we are not allowing visitors to our office and most of our staff is operating remotely. Our attorneys and staff are still available to help you by phone and email. If you get our voice mail, please leave a message and it will be returned promptly. There may be delays with mail due to the crisis, so please try to send documents by email after submitting a contact form here or fax to 312-419-0379, if possible.

Removal of Judgments

Question: If I have a civil judgment that has been completely paid off but still on my credit report, how can I get this removed?

Answer: If it is an Illinois judgment, you have the right to file a motion in the court which entered it attaching proof that it was paid/ satisfied, and requesting that the judgment be vacated and the case dismissed. Once the judgment is vacated, write to the credit bureaus enclosing a copy of the order vacating it and request that the judgment be removed from your credit report. They have 30 days to comply.

This does not affect the “tradeline” for the debt on which the judgment is based, which will show as a paid collection item until the 7/ 7.5 year limit on credit reporting expires.