Notice: We are still operating during the COVID-19 crisis. However, we are not allowing visitors to our office and most of our staff is operating remotely. Our attorneys and staff are still available to help you by phone and email. If you get our voice mail, please leave a message and it will be returned promptly. There may be delays with mail due to the crisis, so please try to send documents by email after submitting a contact form here or fax to 312-419-0379, if possible.

Removing Judgment from Credit Record

Question: A credit card company got a judgment against me. I paid it. Can I get it off my credit?

Answer: Under Illinois law a person who has paid a judgment, or obtained a release or satisfaction, is entitled to have the judgment vacated and the case dismissed. This has to be done by filing a motion with the court.

If a judgment is vacated, it can no longer be reported on your credit report. Send a copy of the order vacating the judgment to the 3 main credit bureaus with a letter requesting removal.

This does not affect the “tradeline” for the debt on which the judgment is based. It will show as a paid or settled collection item until 7 years after chargeoff / 7.5 years from the default that led to chargeoff.