Notice: We are still operating during the COVID-19 crisis. However, we are not allowing visitors to our office and most of our staff is operating remotely. Our attorneys and staff are still available to help you by phone and email. If you get our voice mail, please leave a message and it will be returned promptly. There may be delays with mail due to the crisis, so please try to send documents by email after submitting a contact form here or fax to 312-419-0379, if possible.

Missing Court Date

Question: What should I do if I was not able to show up on a court date? I received a summons but it had no court date. I just found out that the court date was about 13 days ago. Of course, the judge made his decision without me and against me. I want to know how to go about appealing this on my own.

Answer: In Illinois a summons is required to either contain a date certain for your answer or appearance or specify that you must answer within 30 days after service. If it did neither, it is not valid.

It is relatively simple to get a judgment vacated on a motion filed within 30 calendar days after entry. File a motion requesting that it be vacated and pointing out any defect in the summons.

You cannot appeal without first raising the issue with the trial court.