Skip to Content
Edelman Combs Latturner & Goodwin, LLC Edelman Combs Latturner & Goodwin, LLC
Call Us Today! 312-626-3585

Protecting the Rights of Consumers For Over 25 Years


Question: What should I do if I was served with an order to show cause why I should not be punished for contempt of the court? This is my first time hearing about this case.


It appears that you may have grounds to vacate the judgment.

Meanwhile, comply with the order.

Get the court file and make a copy of the return of service.

If you can show it is false, you need to file a motion to quash service/ vacate judgment.

It needs to be supported by your affidavit and as much corroboration as possible. If it claims you were served personally, you need to establish an alibi if possible. If it says someone else was served, you need to show it was not member of household or that they were not served.

Share To: