Notice: We are still operating during the COVID-19 crisis. However, we are not allowing visitors to our office and most of our staff is operating remotely. Our attorneys and staff are still available to help you by phone and email. If you get our voice mail, please leave a message and it will be returned promptly. There may be delays with mail due to the crisis, so please try to send documents by email after submitting a contact form here or fax to 312-419-0379, if possible.

My Daughter's Bank Placed a Freeze on Her Account Due to a Collection Judgment

Question: My daughter’s bank placed a freeze on her account due to a collection judgment. They are holding $950. All of the money she has. Is this legal?

Answer: If the source of the income is social security or pension benefits, it should not be frozen. Regardless of the source of the income, in Illinois, there is a “wildcard” exemption for $4,000 not otherwise exempted, which can be applied to a bank account. Your daughter needs to file a motion to release the funds on this ground ASAP.