Notice: We are still operating during the COVID-19 crisis. However, we are not allowing visitors to our office and most of our staff is operating remotely. Our attorneys and staff are still available to help you by phone and email. If you get our voice mail, please leave a message and it will be returned promptly. There may be delays with mail due to the crisis, so please try to send documents by email after submitting a contact form here or fax to 312-419-0379, if possible.

Refusal of Creditor to Accept Payment on a Judgment

Question: I am trying to pay a judgment that was entered against me in a small claims case from 2008. The plaintiff works overseas and will not provide his address. He refuses to make arrangements to accept it when he returns to United States every six months. I believe he is avoiding accepting so he can receive years of interest. How can I get this resolved?

Answer: Illinois law allows you to file a motion with the court (send a copy to the plaintiff at the last address shown on the court papers) and have the court enter an order allowing you to deposit the money with the clerk. The proper amount is the judgment plus costs plus 9% simple interest. The deposit stops the running of interest and entitles you to have the judgment marked satisfied and vacated and the case dismissed. If the plaintiff does not retrieve the deposit it will eventually escheat to the state, but that is not your concern.